Wednesday, February 6, 2008

ASH WEDNESDAY

So, again, to remind anyone who's reading...going to use this as a journal, so, enjoy if you can, but is more for me more than anything! I find if I write things down (I am a HUGE list person) I tend to do it. I like seeing the things crossed and gives me great satisfaction!
So, my topic today to think about is Ash Wednesday. Since we are Catholic, I'm trying to find some meaningful things to do so the boys will start to understand the importance of this time of year...as well as all through the year, but especially this time of year. Anyway, here are some things on the list!
Some of Staci's Things She's Going to Give Up or Add During Lent:
-I've not been the best at reading The Bible on a daily basis in a while, so I am going to read a chapter in Proverbs every day.
-Stay focused on whatever my task is at hand and finish it!!!
-Try not to raise my voice (at Child #1 mostly ; ) as much!
-Be more patient (ditto with the child #)
-Read with Connor from Miss Laura's plan every day!
-Attend Stations of the Cross every Friday during Lent
-No radio on for me in the car...need to pray or think and be grateful for things instead of listening to The Sports Animal!

For the Family:

-Pray our little prayer every morning before we go to school
-Encourage Connor on a daily basis to think of something (like not eating cookies today, etc..) he can give up or something special he could do each day for a family member of his choice.
-Follow Our Lenten Journey Path (a calendar of sorts that leads up to Easter Sunday)
-Make crown of thorns (dough and toothpicks) and remind him he gets to take a thorn out for every good deed I find him doing, ex...having a nice voice, sharing, etc...

Gosh, sounds like a lot...these next 40 days I'm really focusing on just being better and positive things.

I hope you all have a Blessed Ash Wednesday!

1 comment:

Miss Lisa said...

Those are some great ideas! I am Lutheran-Missouri Synod but I still like the idea of self-improvement during Lent. The crown of thorns seems like a great way to really show the passion and the idea of removing one thorn at a time is so ingenious--love it.
I have been doing the 'bible in a year' study off the net and it has really truly enriched me although I have to admit some of these prophet sections are total doom and gloom. I always wonder what is the point of this and then I come across a verse that just speaks to me (this honestly happens at almost every reading). I love Proverbs though. Enjoy your study!
Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my cooking blog--they made my day!
(I'm new to blogging too!)
Have a fantastic day!!!!